Saturday, October 13, 2012

Festival Special: Greek Fest; Steve Madden -Daynty, Black

 Kalos Orisate (Welcome)!

Opa, my fellow Shoe-A-Holics! Can you guess where my shoes took me today? The Savannah Greek Festival!
Started 61 years ago as a food festival, this family oriented event has evolved into an annual cultural celebration of Greek history, tradition and faith; feeling quite homesick for my own Mediterranean island (Sicily), the local Greek Fest was precisely what I needed!







Unbeknownst to me, Savannah has a rich Greek heritage  steeped in , Savannah is a destination for many southern Mediterraneans because of its temperate climate in the winter, warm summers and relative proximity to the Atlantic ocean and beaches!

During the three day festival, visitors from far and near experience authentic homemade Hellenic foods and desserts prepared by parishioners of St Paul's Greek Orthodox Church.  After hearing rave reviews on radio and television, my first stop was the food!

Greek salad with dressing

Combo Plate: Clockwise from top left:
Meatballs, roll, spanakopita, pastitsio and dolmandes

And lunch would not be complete without Spirits!
Is it me, or does that look like a naked pregnant woman
on the second bottle from the left?
 
 
While we dined, we got to enjoy the sounds of traditional Greek music from two talented musicians!
 




 
And as is customary in the Med, a meal would be complete without coffee...
 
And sweets!
Kataife

Finikia

Pecan Queens

(L) upper: Chocolate-Walnut Triangles, (L) lower: Koulourakia,
Baklava on the right


I'm not sure how to pronounce this word, or even what they are, but the line for these delectables was so long, we never got to sample them!



The festival is so popular, that they had a drive thru to accommodate those who wanted to eat,
but couldn't spare the time to stay!
 

The Greek Grocery Store (Bakaliko) offered many items which cannot be found locally.

The shopaholic in me had to make a stop at the Agora (the market) inside with clothing and books...


















 And outside, with all the things I miss most from the markets in Italy: bags...

 
Scarves...

 
And jewelry!

J by K jewlery designer, Kathy Guerry's tent caught my attention first.  Accustomed to scouring the local Sicilian markets while living in Sicily, I invariably ended up buying jewelry (rings mostly), which, when I wear years later, commemorate my experience in a particular place or festival.  Kathy's beautiful necklaces, rings and scarves are all hand crafted by this amazing artisan with such an attention to detail making each piece a unique work of art!  You can contact her at kbguerry@yahoo.com or by phone 857-389-9156

 
Here are more of her beautiful designs!



 Feeling great after my afternoon in Greece, I am saddened to know that I have to wait another year before the festival returns...but it is well worth the wait!
 
 
Baci a tutti!

Stella Notte

Day 264: Sunday October 14th 2012
Designer: Steve Madden
Name: Daynty
Color: Black
Style: Platform Pump Slide Peep-Toe Clog
Heel: 5 inches (12.7 cm), Platform: 1.5 inches (3.81 cm)
Material: Leather Upper with stud details along mid-sole







How I styled it:  So now that I'm feeling good about this weight loss (and that I have finally started fitting into some of my clothes), This olive shirt dress is one I have wanted to wear for over a year (yes, I do buy clothes to diet into).  I belted this Convington dress from Sears, with an olive macrame belt with wooden beads and loop from Old Navy.  My leather hobo purse I got from the market in Pisa.  Just a side note, this is the last pair of these Steve Madden Dayntys I own...although I am regretting not having gotten them in the red suede! SN
 

Beautiful in any color;



 

No comments:

Post a Comment